COVID-19 Update: We are open. No walks in. By appointment only. Please wear face mask at all time. Please click "HERE" to read more info for our new Safety Guidance and Policy.

Steps for a WA Driver License


1) Go to DOL website to pre-apply  and get your confirmation number. 

It's Free and saves a trip to DOL office.


2) You will need to study the Washington Driver Guide to pass your Knowledge Test.


3) When you're ready, schedule for the Knowledge Test (KT) fee $30.


4) After you've passed the KT, go to your local DOL office and obtain a WA Instruction Permit ($25 permit fee) If you have a current/valid out-of-country driver license and you have been in US for less than a year, you may skip this step.


5) Choose a learning package and schedule for driving lessons. 


6) When you're ready, schedule for the final Drive Test. $75 with personal /IDA's vehicle.


7) After successfully passing the Drive Test, go to your local DOL office and they will issue a WA Driver License ($89 licensing fee)


8) Drive responsibly.


DOL Registering

If you don’t have a WA license, permit, or ID card, you must pre-apply and:

1) Have a Washington (WA) residence street address and
2) Are getting your first WA:
  • Driver license,
  • ID card,
  • Instruction permit, or
  • Enhanced driver license/ID card (EDL/EID).

Pre-applying saves you time! Pre-apply for your first WA driver permit, license, or ID card.


>Click here to register with DOL.



Documents to show proof of identification:


  • Refugee Verification Packet (contact your resettlement agency for more information)
  • U.S. armed services ID card, with photo — Valid
  • U.S. B1/B2 Visa Border Crossing Card (Form DSP-150) — Valid
  • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization with your photo, signature, and readily identifiable photo
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service ID — Valid
    • Acceptable forms are:
      • I-327 U.S. Permit to Re-Enter Travel Document
      • I-551 Permanent Resident Card
      • I-571 U.S. Refugee Travel Document
      • I-766 Employment Authorization
  • U.S. passport — Valid (an emergency passport isn't acceptable)
  • U.S. passport card — Valid
  • U.S. state or territory issued Driver License, ID card, or photo Instruction Permit — Valid or expired not more than 1 year
  • Verification ID letter from the Department of Social and Health Services Children's Administration for foster youth

>Click here for a complete list of DOL approved IDs



Documents to show proof of Washington residence:


If you're 18 and over and applying for a standard Washington driver license, identification card, or instruction permit, you have to show a document with your principal residence address.

Follow these steps to prove you live in Washington:

  1. Gather one of the acceptable documents below. If your documents are fraudulent, you won't be able to reapply for 364 days.

Acceptable documents must:

  • Show your current Washington residence address (unless noted below),
  • Be unexpired (unless noted below), and
  • Be in your or your spouse's name. If the documents are in your spouse's name you will be asked to present your marriage certificate.

Note: If you're between the age of 18 and 25, you can use documents in your parent or guardian's name. You'll be asked to show proof of relationship, such as a birth certificate or adoption papers.

Acceptable documents:

  • Previously issued WA license, ID card or permit that is expired not more than 6 years or your spouse's current WA license, ID card or Permit, that is expired not more than 6 years and your marriage certificate. If you have been issued a license in another state since your last issuance in WA, this option isn't acceptable.
  • Washington vehicle registration or title (a quick title isn't acceptable)
  • USPS change of address letter dated within 2 months (electronic letters not accepted)
  • Home utility bill for Washington address (gas, electric, water, garbage, sewer, landline phone, TV, internet, ISTA) dated within past 2 months.
  • Washington voter card
  • Washington school transcript - current or previous school year
  • DSHS benefits letter indicating unexpired benefits (medical, food, etc.)
  • Tribal ID
  • Proof of home ownership (mortgage documents, property tax documents, deed, title, etc.)
  • Selective Service card
  • Business mail from state or federal agency dated within 2 months
  • Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) letter from Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
  • Concealed weapons permit from a WA county (license to carry concealed pistol)
  • Home owners (not renters) insurance policy
  • Auto insurance policy or bill dated within 2 months
  • Consulate ID card
  • Pay check or pay stub with the employer's name and phone number or address - dated within 2 months
  • Washington professional license (nursing, physician, pilot, engineer, etc.)
  • W-2 form from an employer, or form 1099 for the previous year
  • Moorage document (bill, contract, etc.)
  • Letter attesting residence in alternative housing (e.g. assisted living, college campus, mission, senior housing, shelter, or retirement home) on company letter head with a phone number that could be used in verification of the facility
  • U.S. military document issued within 1 year
  • Certified marriage certificate, for a marriage within 1 year
  • Form DS-2019

If you're using a verification ID letter to prove your identity from the Stand-Alone or A-List above, that can also be used as your proof of residence.